Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Three hour lunches = catching up with an old friend

Today I had a wonderful , long, yet much too quick lunch with an old friend.  This is a friend I used to speak to on a once (or more!) daily basis.  We have been through many things in our lives together.  We have shared elementary school, middle school, high school, my teen pregnancy, our marriages, the births of my other three boys and her two children.   Its been much too long, yet the time we spent was as easy as if I saw her yesterday.

My son Nicholas asked me how I could be such good friends with someone and not talk to them in such a long time.  It is a poignant question.  I'm not sure what happened.  We both went back to school and with families and work commitments it became harder to keep in touch.  I thought of her often and would always put calling her on the "to do list" , yet most days I just didn't make it a priority.  Nick's question to me really confirmed that no matter what answer I gave him it was the incorrect one, as there is no excuse for not finding time for true friends.

So today was a happy day! She looks exactly the same to me as years before. I enjoyed every minute of our time together. I look forward to seeing her more often and can't wait for the next long lunch!

2 comments:

  1. I have a very dear friend that I don't get to see very often. But when we do, it's like no time has passed at all.
    http://www.memoirsofmeandmine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is great. I stumbled upon it doing a search about adoption. I too am adopted and am searching for my birth parents. Please continue with this blog. It really is nice reading the story of others. Thank you
    Janet

    ReplyDelete